Thursday, November 21, 2013

10 Things Most People Don't Know About Me...



I have noticed on Facebook lately that the trend these days is for someone to assign you a number and then you are to post that many things about yourself that most people don't know about you.

I have thought about writing nine of the most outrageous things I can think of and then for number 10 writing, "I am a pathological liar."

Which leads me to ask the question, "If someone says that they are a pathological liar", do we believe them?

It is curious to me that people take the challenge so easily and quickly and then just lay out 10 or 7 or 14 things that most people don't know about themselves. It has been fascinating to read the revelations. For some of the posts it has been like watching a train wreck. I know I should stop reading but I just can't!

Most of the items people list are events that have happened to them in the past.
"I was the fastest runner in 5th grade."
"I was the lead singer in a musical in high school."
"I tripped and fell on the floor when I was two."

I think you get the point.

I find it easy to remember and record for my Facebook friends things that have happened to me in the past that most people would not know about.

But what about laying out there for everyone to see and read the ten things that you hope for, dream about, are conflicted about and downright convinced will never happen?

I have a feeling that if I laid out there 10 of those type of things, there would be some feedback that would be hard to take.

My iWitness...

Most of you know that it is really hard for me to back away from a challenge!

So... Here are the 10 Things Most People Don't Know About Me...

1. Everyone who knows about my two older daughters who have not talked to me since 1998 always say the same thing, "One day David, they will come around." I really don't believe that day will ever come.

2. I wonder, pray, struggle, contemplate every day if I am doing the work that I am called by God to do.

3. Having been out of the church in a professional role for the last 20 months has made me realize just how many churches "don't get it" when it comes to meeting the real needs of the people who walk by their doors every day.

4. I long to be popular, famous and impactful and in the same breath long to be humble, behind the scenes and just play my part. The dichotomy of these longings stretch me to the point of snapping.

5. "Holier than thou" and self righteous Christian people raise my blood pressure quicker and faster than any other group of people I have ever run into.

6. I dream about six pack abs and a totally buffed and chiseled physique for myself.

7. Having so many friends and church members die of cancer, I cannot help but wonder if I am a ticking time bomb of cancer waiting to go off at any moment.

8. My desire to be holy and my outright actions not to be holy wrestle daily like two MMA fighters in an octagonal cage fight.

9. I wonder if I will ever be "good enough", "do enough" or "be enough" for my family and other people.

10. I love God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit with a fury and with a faith that always believes that everything will work out. God's love for us is far greater than any of us, myself included can even begin to imagine.

11. A bonus... Most people know that my favorite quote is.. "Jesus comes to us and says, 'I have a word for you... I dare you to trust that I love you just the way you are and not as you should be, because you are never going to be as you should be." (Brennan Manning)

This list could go on and on...
Of course, now I cannot help but wonder...
Will people still love me, care for me, support me and even understand me now that they know the "10 Things Most People Don't Know About Me..."

The good news is that God does know these things...
And the better news is found in this song,
"Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so..."

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

O Lord, you have searched me and known me!
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
    you discern my thoughts from afar.
You search out my path and my lying down
    and are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
    behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.
You hem me in, behind and before,
    and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
    it is high; I cannot attain it.

Where shall I go from your Spirit?
    Or where shall I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
    If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
If I take the wings of the morning
    and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 even there your hand shall lead me,
    and your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
    and the light about me be night,”
12 even the darkness is not dark to you;
    the night is bright as the day,
    for darkness is as light with you.
13 For you formed my inward parts;
    you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
    intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
    the days that were formed for me,
    when as yet there was none of them.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
    I awake, and I am still with you...
 
Search me, O God, and know my heart!
    Try me and know my thoughts!
24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting!
(Psalm 139. 1-18, 23-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment