Thursday, November 14, 2013

Look for the Cross



One of my associates and I were driving through some small towns in Illinois yesterday in order to make personal visits with some of our Seminary's alumni. As we drove into one small town I was riding "shotgun" and intently looking at my GPS. I was giving my assoicate directions as to where the church would be located. Right in the middle of my offering directions she said, "Put that thing down. You don't need a GPS to find the church. It's really simple...Look for the Cross."

My iWitness...

I put the GPS down and sure enough, through the leafless trees there she was...The Cross... on top of the steeple.

The most beautiful thing to me about the cross is this...

It is empty...

In what is called the "Reformed Tradition", in which I was raised we make a big deal of the fact that Jesus no longer hangs on the cross. Jesus no longer is dead, dangling from the three spikes that hold him mounted to two cross beams. Jesus is Risen! He is risen indeed!

The emptiness of the cross holds true for us the promise that death is not the final victor. Jesus is the one who met death head on in an epic battle and after three days, the power, the grip of death was eternally vanquished.

Today, when you are caught up in the daily details that detain you from enjoying the view of life around you, take a moment and "look for the Cross."

With just a glance, the empty cross and the promise of life that it offers just might give you that little extra boost that you need to make it through the next five minutes.

Look for the Cross...
It may be empty...
But it's full of promise!

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." (1 Corinthians 1. 18)

No comments:

Post a Comment