Friday, November 8, 2013

What happened along the way?



Today marks the 55th anniversary of my mom and dad getting married.
My dad was 29 years old.
My mom was 18 years, 27 days old.
The marriage lasted a little less than thirty years.

I got married on June 22, 1985.
I was twenty-two years, three months and 17 days old.
That marriage officially lasted until July 27, 1999... about 14 years.

I have officiated a lot of marriages.
Some are still going strong.
Some are status quo.
Some are on life support.
Some broke up a long time ago.

What happened along the way?

My iWitness...

If statistics hold true, half of us who are reading this post have been divorced.
I will go out on a limb here and suggest that 100 percent of us know someone who has gone through a divorce.

I can remember with great clarity that joy I have had of standing at the front of the church proclaiming, "You may KISS the bride!" And with entusiastic joy and jubilation, off march the bride and groom!

And then the little voice in the back of my head would raise its cynical head..."How long will it last? What will happen along the way that will stress, strain and seduce this marriage into a place where these two "just kissed" people will come to the decision to call it quits?

What will happen along the way?

I think of my own "marriage" walk with Jesus...

What happened along the way?

There are too many things to recount...

All I know is that through the thick, the thin, the joy, the pain, the heartache, the laughter, the tears, the jobs, the unemployment, the jumping up and down of happiness, the fetal position of sorrow, the confusion, the bewilderment, the health, the sickness, the ten different states, the fears and the hopes...

Here is what happened along the way...

Jesus has fulfilled His promise over and over and over and over...

And what promise was that?

"I am with you always..."

I have tried to call it quits many times.

Not Jesus...

There's no quit in Jesus...

If you don't mind I am just going to sit here another minute or two and just bask in that promise and let His arms hold me tight...

There's no quit in Jesus...
Whatever happens along the way...
There's no quit in Jesus...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment