Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Butterfly



Yesterday at 9:45 am my dear and very close friend and fellow tennis playing partner Howard Newman walked up to the gates of heaven and received a thunderous applause and ovation as he was tenderly and ferociously received into the waiting and loving arms of Jesus.

My iWitness...

Many times "cancer" wins the battle...
But faith in Christ always wins the war.
Howard won the war yesterday.

As his son Greg and I were texting back and forth in the last days.
Greg offered an analogy that a friend had made... "It is much like a caterpillar metamorphosis into a butterfly. Painful but fruitful in the end. Dad is giving birth to his spirit."

Upon reading that text the word "butterfly" stood out and prompted this memory.
When I was in college one of my professors told us about several words in our English language that were composed of two words that somehow over the years the two words had been "flip flopped."

She gave a few examples of this strange phenomenon, but the only word that I remember is "Butterfly."

When she mentioned the word I thought to myself, "Flip Flopping those two words would give us 'Fly Butter.'" As if reading my mind the professor said, "Many of you may be thinking that 'Fly Butter' makes no sense." I nodded my head in enthusiastic agreement. She further explained, "Think of it this way...'Flutter By.'"

My mind exploded in the "aha ness" of the moment!

In a very real way we "flutter by" on this earth.
With each flap of our delicate wings...
With each soft touching down on a flower to replenish or to rest...
With each gentle "take off"...
With each flight, dancing to the music of the sky...
We make a difference in this world.
Howard made a huge impact on my life as he "fluttered by".
May we return the favor to those we love, adore and cherish...

I love you Howard...
Thank you for loving me!

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” (Nehemiah 8. 10)


No comments:

Post a Comment