Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Playing God



On Sunday afternoon and into the early evening hours my eight year old son must have asked me to "play" seven hundred and thirty-nine times (I am not exaggerating!). Especially this time of the year he loves to throw the football whether we be outside or inside. Joshua loves to be the wide receiver while I play quarterback. We make up all sorts of "code" words for patterns he runs. When I bark out "Eagle" at the line of scrimmage, Joshua knows to run a "fly" pattern. If I call "Poor", he knows to run "down and out." If the play is "shirt" he efficiently runs a "button hook." As the best quarterback in my own front yard, I throw awesome spirals that make it easy for Joshua to score a touchdown and his dad loves to throw his arms up in the air and yell, "TOUCHDOWN!" Joshua loves to play. And so do I.

My iWitness...

Do you think God loves to play?

I wonder if God ever says, "I am happy to sit here and listen to you all day long David, but today I would like to step off the throne and play. Would you like to play with me today David? Are you up for playing with the best quarterback in the universe? Do you want to play David? How bout it? HEY! DAVID! I know you're busy writing this daily blog... but come on!! Do you want to play?"

The movie "Chariots of Fire" is based on the life of 1924 Olympic Champion, faithful Christian and future missionary to China Eric Liddell. I love Eric's quote about running...

"I believe God made me for a purpose,
but he also made me fast.
And when I run I feel His pleasure."


Sunday morning I was helping out with the Children's Ministry at church. All the children from kindergarten through fifth grade were singing along with a video. As always the song had "motions" to go along with it. Faith was singing her heart out, as was I. And then we started to dance. We stepped to the left and then we stepped to the right. Our arms were raised this way and then that way. We were marching. We were sliding. And in the middle of all of that I felt God's pleasure! God had invited me to play and there I was with 50 children and a few adults playing with God and God was playing with me!

Indeed we have a powerful God, an all knowing God, an ever present God, a loving God, a merciful God, a forgiving God, a grace filled God and lest we forget we have a "playing God!"


And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." (Isaiah 40. 28-30)


No comments:

Post a Comment