Monday, November 4, 2013

Mike came Home...



The smile on his face was unmistakeable...
The gleam in his eye sparkled like a diamond from Jared's...
The pride in his core made his chest stand up straight...
The tenor of his voice was relaxed and bordered on gitty...
The anticipation of the story he was getting ready to tell overflowed from his posture when he leaned toward me...
It was straight out of the Bible...
He never thought it would happen...
But it did...
His wayward and prodigal son had come home...
For a week...
Seven days...
And it was good...
No... it was great!
I can't tell you how many years he has waited to experience the reality of the parable of the Prodigal Son firsthand...
When our eyes finally locked, his eyes darted over to his beautiful bride for a nanosecond and then back to mine as he uttered these three words that I thought I would never hear...
"Mike came Home..."

My iWitness...
What is it about someone "coming home" that grabs our attention and heart strings?

Have you ever gone astray?

Have you ever been the son or daughter that went astray, went sideways, rebelled and ran away?

Yeah... me too.

I am always intrigued to see what the response will be of those who are welcoming the strays back home.

Will their arms be crossed and face stern with a voice that booms, "It's about time..."?

Or will their arms be open wide with a face gleefully screaming, "Welcome home!!!"?

My friend's strong arms and loving heart were open wide to receive the son he loves with a full body bear hug.

I love reunions like that.
So does God...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. 21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ 22 But the father said to his servants,‘Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. 23 And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. 24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to celebrate." (Luke 15. 20-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment