Sunday, November 3, 2013

Like Sparrows



I had the privilege of preaching at the Grace Episcopal Church in St. Helena, California (heart of the Napa Valley) where my very good friend Father Mac serves as the Rector. As is always the common practice in the Episcopal Church, the Eucharist (The Lord's Supper) is served every week during worship. Today was no different.

Father Mac blessed and consecrated the elements of the bread and the wine and we were off and running. I was given the privilege of passing out the "wafers" to those who came forward to partake.

Men and women, boys and girls from ages 3 to 93 came forward one by one and...
knelt down on the padded steps...
placed their hands on the railing before them to balance themselves...
leaned on their elbows..
bowed their heads...
closed their eyes..
and then unfolded their hands to an open position to receive the wafer...
like sparrows...
waiting to be fed by their mother...
Softly, ever so softly I would place the wafer in their waiting palms and offer these words...
"The Bread of Heaven...
The Bread of Life..."

And they took the bread of life into their hands and ate the bread of heaven and nourished their souls...
like sparrows...

My iWitness...

I was moved to tears on more than one occasion at the scene set before me this day.
I was reminded of the great song...

His Eye is on The Sparrow...

  1. Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
    Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
    When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

    • Refrain:
      I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
      For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
  2. “Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
    And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
    Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
  3. Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
    When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
    I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
Hear the good news this day...
His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?  And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30 But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows." (Matthew 10. 29-31)

No comments:

Post a Comment