Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Judge on 9/11

It was Tuesday morning.
He was at home.
The phone rang.
He was needed.
He quickly got dressed and donned his collar.
The last thing he put on as he ran out the door was his Fireman's helmet.
His name is Father Mychal Judge and he was the New York Fire Department's Chaplain on September 11, 2001.
As Father Mychal ran toward the Twin Towers others were running from it.
In the shadow of the smoldering Twin Towers, he came across a slain fireman who had been hit by a falling body.
As any proper Catholic Priest would do, Father Mychal offered "last rites" to this brave man.
Offering the proper respect due to this child of God lying in the street, Father Mychal bent down on one knee and removed his helmet.
Within moments, perhaps even seconds Father Mychal Judge was struck on the head by falling debris and instantly killed.

Father Mychal Judge is listed as "Victim 0001" of the World Trade Center terrorist attack.
He was not the first to die, but he was the first to be removed from the scene as depicted below...



My iWitness...

I want to be like Father Mychal Judge.
I want to be known and remembered as someone who always ran toward the problem.
I do not want to be known and remembered as someone who runs away from the problem.

I marvel at Jesus in this respect.
Jesus ran toward Jerusalem.
He knew what awaited him there.
He ran into the temple and turned over the tables in order to restore his Father's house.
A few days later would find Jesus at another table.
The table of the Last Supper.
He could have run away.
He could have removed himself.

But because of you...
Because of you Jesus ran toward the Garden...
Because of you Jesus ran toward the Cross...
Because of you Jesus ran out of the tomb...
Because of you Jesus now runs to you...

Let's run today...
Let's run toward Jesus...
Let's run toward those around us that are hurting...
Let's run toward the problem... Let's not run away...

On this 9/11...
I want to be like Father Mychal Judge on 9/11
I would rather die running to the problem than running away from it...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." (Matthew 5. 4)

ps - My prayers for my dear friend Pam and her family as they remember her beloved uncle who was killed on 9/11/01 in the Twin Tower attack.

Also, my word of thanks to my good friend Ernie who stood with me on that terrible day and watched the events unfold before our very eyes at Grace Community Church in Cleveland, Ohio. Ernie... we are forever linked on this anniversary. Thank you for continuing to stand with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment