Friday, September 20, 2013

Nasty Noses



I ran into a good friend yesterday whom I had not seen for quite a while.
We made our way over to Peters Commons (the University's food service court).
Her husband is a great guy who pastors a church not too far from campus (within a 10 hour drive).

We caught up on what the kids were doing, what I was doing and then I asked, "How are things at the church?"

Her immediate response was, "Really well..." She went on to give a detailed description  of all the wonderful things that were happening. I just basked in her radiant recollection of the positive direction the church was taking under her husband's leadership.

A few minutes later she became a little more transparent in her assessment of things.
She said, "Well...we do have a few "nasty noses" in the congregation who are making things a little difficult."
I about jumped out of my seat with my reply, "Nasty noses? What are "Nasty Noses"?
She looked down at the table and gave a faint smile.
I continued, "I call folks like that "***holes." Is that what you mean?"
She sheepishly said, "Well... yes... I was trying to be nice."
I couldn't resist my next comment, "How do you think they got those "nasty noses"!!!???"
My boisterous laugh filled Peters Commons overshadowing her cute little laugh!
Oh my... Nasty Noses in the church! What a concept!

And yes... What a reality!!

My iWitness...

I could go in several directions here...

1. Quit being a nasty nose!
2. Stay away from the nasty noses!
3. Start a "Kleenex Team" in your church and "Wipe those Nasty Noses clean!"
4. In the "body of Christ" someone has to be the "***hole."

Lest I digress, let's go in this direction...

Isn't it great that the church has "Nasty Noses" and "Nice Noses"?

Welcome to the Church!
It's not the Country Club where everything is nicely decorated and everyone ascribes to a certain dress code and a modicum of behavior that is aromatically pleasing to all who participate.

No, No, No...the Church is full of nasty noses! The Church is a hospital where no potential patient is turned away and together we follow the Divine Physician's orders and prescriptions and allow the balm and salve of the healing power of the Holy Spirit to make us whole.

And guess what?

I am a Nasty Nose!
And so are you!

This is the beauty of the Church!
God has designed a place and a group of people called the church where it is only by the power of the Holy Spirit that we become something other than a "Nasty Nose."

By the grace of God I walk humbly day in and day out knowing that I am only a wipe a way from being a "Nasty Nose"...

Praise be to God who is so patently patient with and unconditionally accepting and loving to all of us whether we are a "Nice Nose" or a "Nasty Nose."

Just to let you know...
Jesus hung out with "Nasty Noses" all the time...

"And as he reclined at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners were reclining with Jesus and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 And the scribes of the Pharisees, when they saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors, said to his disciples, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” 17 And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.” (Mark 2. 15-17)

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!




No comments:

Post a Comment