Thursday, September 19, 2013

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall...



I have another weird idiosyncrasy that drives my wife crazy and probably anybody else that hangs around me long enough.
I love listening to music. Nothing wrong with that right?
Well...the difference perhaps being, I love listening to the same song over and over and over and over!
When I was in college one of my hallmates and I had the same routine before every final exam.
Forty-five minutes before an exam we would get comfortable in his dorm room (me in the recliner, him on the couch), turn the lights down low and listen to the song "Sailing" by Christopher Cross... 10 times in a row and then we would go take our exam.

This week the song I have been listening to over and over and over is sung by Jason Gray called...

"Remind Me Who I Am"
When I lose my way,
And I forget my name,
Remind me who I am.
In the mirror all I see,
Is who I don't wanna be,
Remind me who I am.
In the loneliest places,
When I can't remember what grace is.

Tell me once again who I am to You,
Who I am to You.
Tell me lest I forget who I am to You,
That I belong to You.
To You.

When my heart is like a stone,
And I'm running far from home,
Remind me who I am.
When I can't receive Your love,
Afraid I'll never be enough,
Remind me who I am.
If I'm Your beloved,
Can You help me believe it.

Tell me once again who I am to You,
Who I am to You, whoa.
Tell me lest I forget who I am to You.
That I belong to You.
To You.

I'm the one you love,
I'm the one you love,
That will be enough,
I'm the one you love.
 
My iWitness...
 
I love the disciple named John. I love the book he wrote called "The Gospel according to John."
He is an incredible writer and one thing I love about John is his ability to tell us in very simple terms the special place he played in the life of Jesus.
 
As I mentioned yesterday, it is John who records the race to the empty tomb between him and Peter. John is so nonchalant about the result of the race..."Oh by the way, we ran to the tomb... and... I got there first...I won the race... not that it is that important... but I did leave Peter in the dust!!"
 
A few days before "the race", the disciples are with Jesus in the upper room in what would be their last supper before Jesus was arrested. Jesus becomes quite troubled in spirit and states that someone will betray him. Obviously, the disciples become troubled and begin to question among themselves who will betray Jesus.
 
John, in recalling that moment in time records this very sentence...
 
 "One of his disciples, whom Jesus loved, was reclining at table at Jesus' side..." (John 13. 23)
 
The one "whom Jesus loved..."
 
I just love that sentence!
 
So here is our important reminder of the day!
Listen up!!
 
Look in the mirror and repeat after me...
Tell me once again who I am to You,
Who I am to You, whoa. (Yes!! You have to say "whoa"!! That's integral to the process!!)
Tell me lest I forget who I am to You.
That I belong to You.
To You.

I'm the one you love,
I'm the one you love,
That will be enough,
I'm the one you love.
 
Just in case you forget...
Let me remind you...
You are the one whom Jesus loves!
 
If you need to be reminded of that,
just let me know and I will remind you in the same manner that I listen to music...
 
I will tell you over and over and over and over and over and over again...
 
And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!
 
ps - And when I forget will you please tell me over and over and over...?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment