Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Ordinary Trucker



I parked my car in the parking lot where I always park my car yesterday morning.
Right in front of me an 18 wheeler pulled up and parked on the side of the street with the top of his tractor trailer intimately kissing the branches of about three trees.
I got out.
The trucker with furry eyebrows got out.
I walked around my car with my blazer, blue tie and khaki pants.
He walked around his idling truck with his well worn jeans and long untucked T-shirt.
I looked at him.
He looked at me through his silver rimmed glasses as he "hand combed" his scraggly hair out of the way of his view.
He said, "Excuse me, but I understand that there is a new building going up around here. Do you know where it might be?"
I thought to myself, "A man, a man asking for directions!"

What ensued was a most pleasant 15 minute conversation about trucking, his family that lives in Denver, his son who works in the sheriff's department in Greeley, Colorado, the devastation of the recent flooding in Colorado, the potential hazards of getting stuck in the snow, his trucking company, his 18 wheeler cab that has a microwave, refrigerator, 10 gallons of water and a great bed and yes, we ultimately talked about where the new building was and how to get there.

He told me his name was Clinton Nicholas.
I told him my name was David Dendy (of course I did...)

We shook hands.
I told him to be safe out on the road and "God Bless..."
And into his truck went "The Ordinary Trucker."

My iWitness...

Nothing spectacular...
Nothing really out of the ordinary...
Nothing that will make you rethink your position on race relations, current politics, the deity of Christ or the rise and fall of the local economy...
Nothing but a friendly conversation among two men that just happened to meet.

And this is what I find extraordinary...
God being found in the ordinary.

Perhaps I need to look there more often to see and experience the wonder of our awesome God.
How about you?
Where will you discover God today?
What may seem as "ordinary" just might be the most extraordinary display of our creator God...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a still small voice." (1 Kings 19. 11-13)

No comments:

Post a Comment