Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Morning Ritual



The Morning Ritual is the same every morning. (That's why we call it a ritual!!)
The alarm goes off.
I wake up, think to myself, "Really? Already?"
I make my way to the front door clad in my pajama plaid bottoms while my little miniature American Eskimo of a dog named Lily awaits with wagging tail as her outstretched front paws press on the front door just below the handle.
I turn off the front porch lights because they are just too bright against the darkened sky.
I saunter gingerly in my fur lined moccasins to the driveway to pick up the rubber band bound newspaper.
This morning I was amazed at how the strength of the moonbeam lit up my front yard. The cloudless, crisp 49 degree air welcomed me in silence as the near full moon waved, "Good morning old man!!"
With the newspaper lightly held in my left hand, I gazed at the moon wondering if the man who lived there really did just live off of the cheese which the moon was made of.
My neck craned in a way that allowed my eyes to take in the full wonder of the predawn sky.
With a little bit of orientation my eyes found the ever present "Little Dipper" with "Polaris" (The North Star) at the tip.
And of course with just a twist of the neck the "Big Dipper" poured out its morning dose of stardust.
Other stars twinkled and winked at me as if I was the only one in the world worth paying attention to.
And then... it was time to go back inside to continue the morning ritual...

My iWitness...

 I am sometimes lost in the thought that my namesake David, from the Bible, might have had the same morning ritual. I wonder how many times David went out to get the morning news and looked upward and saw the exact same starry formations that inspired him to pen these words...

 O Lord, our Lord,
    how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory above the heavens.
    Out of the mouth of babies and infants,
you have established strength because of your foes,
    to still the enemy and the avenger.

When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
    the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
    and the son of man that you care for him?
Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
    and crowned him with glory and honor.
You have given him dominion over the works of your hands;
    you have put all things under his feet,
all sheep and oxen,
    and also the beasts of the field,
the birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea,
    whatever passes along the paths of the seas.
O Lord, our Lord,
    how majestic is your name in all the earth! (Psalm 8)
 
In all of my poetic prose this morning I am reduced to these thirteen words...
 
O Lord, our Lord,
    how majestic is your name in all the earth!
 
I think I will add those thirteen words to my morning ritual...
How about you?
 
And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment