Saturday, September 21, 2013

Somewhere Over the Rainbow



She answered the phone.
I introduced myself.
I asked how she was doing.
She quickly, almost too quickly responded with, "I'm pretty good."
My response was equally quick, "That's not what I hear."
I could hear her tears instantly streaming at a bandwidth stronger than 10megs.
And so the 35 minute conversation began.
I was privileged and honored that she would be transparent and honest enough to share the difficulties facing her at the beginning of this academic year.

Empathy was at the top of my game last night. I felt what she was feeling. I hurt in a way that could have served as her twin. We shared the same shopping cart of "aches and pains."

We are both into our second year at an institution of higher learning, with lots of acquaintances but few deep friends. We are both far away from "home." We are both in new "cultural" territory. We are both trying to learn a foreign language. The rock solid foundation that we had both been living on for a number of years is gone and now we are trying to get our footing on what seems to be the quicksand of new surroundings. 

I listened and listened and then offered some observations and perspectives as well as an emotional heartfelt prayer that concluded our time on the phone.

I discovered last night and maybe you have too, that sometimes just having someone who cares listen to our aches and pains is the perfect remedy. To know that we are not alone on the journey is oftentimes the best prescription to enjoying the rest of the sojourn.

My iWitness...

After I hung up the phone I headed downstairs to visit with Julie.
I eventually made my way to the computer to check on a few things and then I did what I always do when I am a little on the "emotional" side.

I dig deeper into the emotions. Rarely do I run away from such emotions. I dig deeper knowing full well that there is an underground aquifer of feelings and emotions that needs to be tapped.

I quickly found myself on YouTube watching "Britain's Got Talent". I knew exactly what to look for that would serve as the drill bit to free these pent up emotions into a full fledged geyser.

Her name is Connie Talbot and she is six years old whose only wish for Christmas would be her two front teeth. She loves to sing.

Judge Simon Cowell is in no mood for this and with little Connie Talbot, with microphone in hand, clad in a pink blouse, she begins to sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

She only sings the first verse...(but I have provided the rest of the lyrics)

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby.
Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream,
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops,
High above the chimney tops,
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow, blue birds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow
Why then, oh why can't I?
If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?


Suffice it to say that halfway through Connie's solo I was an emotional gusher...

Listen to these words...
Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream,
Really do come true...

Will you dare to dream with me today?

Lastly, looking at the end of the song let me say this...
To my college student friend, to the man I see when I look in the mirror and to you dear friend who has taken the time to read this blog... perhaps our collective prayer to the Maker of the Rainbows is...

If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

Why, oh why can't I?

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4. 16)




No comments:

Post a Comment