Monday, September 23, 2013

Prisoners



I renewed a favorite routine of mine last night. I went to see the late show at the local movie theater. This used to be my Sunday night ritual when I was pastoring in Klamath Falls, Oregon. After staying up to all hours on Saturday night, preaching three services on Sunday morning and then taking a two hour nap on Sunday afternoon, I discovered that going to the late show on Sunday night was just about the best "Sabbath" practice I had ever experienced. Typically, I was the only person in the whole theater which allowed me to totally relax, sink down into the seat and escape into the land of rest, relaxation and reflection.

I arrived at the theater at 10:15 pm. My car was the tenth car in the parking lot. As the "ticket girl" gave me my ticket she said, "You'll be the only one in the theater." "Sweet" was my thought. I made my way to Theater #1 to see the weekend's top box office hit "Prisoners" starring Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal and Terence Howard.

I had a lot of seats to choose from so I went to the third row up and took the middle seat. I did something totally radical once I found my seat....

I completely disregarded the plea from the big screen telling me to turn off my cell phone. "Ha", I chuckled to myself. I can talk to anyone I want to during the movie if I so choose. I am the master of my own domain here in Theater #1.

While enjoying the upcoming movie trailers my cell phone buzzed at 10:30 letting me know that I had a message. I had a Facebook message from a very dear friend of mine that I have known over thirty years. The message instantly froze me in my chair while the Dolby Surround Sound fell on my deaf ears...

"D! Hope you are well. We are not. "T" (wife's name) was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive stomach cancer Thursday. We see the oncologist surgeon tomorrow at 11:00 am. We are in serious need of mercy and a miracle... Will keep you posted. "M"

My iWitness...

I found it incredibly ironic that I was getting ready to watch a movie called "Prisoners" when this Facebook message fell into my unsuspecting lap.

The movie "Prisoners" begins by having two young girls kidnapped. I quickly began to see that there were more "prisoners" in this movie than just the two girls.

I couldn't help but think that the infamous kidnapper "Cancer" had just abducted my friend's wife last Thursday.

I am so sick and tired of this villain known as "Cancer" who continues to prowl around our world, unencumbered and without discrimination snatching men, women, boys and girls out of the clutches of what we know as life.

My friend's beloved wife is being held prisoner.
My strong and faithful friend is held captive waiting to see if "Cancer" will release her.
The oncologist surgeon is at the mercy of the tenacity of the cancer.
My friend's children are thrown into the prison cell of worrying and wondering if their most beautiful mom will live to see them get married, hold their children or even be able to open up Christmas presents on Christmas day which is three months and two days away.
I find myself within the grip of "Cancer's" talons as once again it has smacked me and mocked me as I get down on my knees to pray for "mercy and a miracle."

There is only one person in this whole struggle who is free...

God...

God is free to heal my friend's wife and God is free not to heal.
God is only held captive to His love and to His will.
His love for my friend's wife is unquestioned.
His will for my friend's wife is unknown.

God has a history of setting the prisoners free.
O Lord, for mercy and a miracle, hear our plea...

"Set "T" free!"

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"I had said in my alarm,
    “I am cut off from your sight.”
But you heard the voice of my pleas for mercy
    when I cried to you for help." (Psalm 31. 22)


 And he (Jesus) came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up. And as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read. 17 And the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written,
18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
    and recovering of sight to the blind,
    to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.” (Luke 4. 16-19)



No comments:

Post a Comment