Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Suicide in Ohio

 
Ariel Castro

Today's headline reads...
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- The man who held three women captive in his home for nearly a decade before one escaped has been found dead and is believed to have committed suicide, a prison official said.
Ariel Castro, 53, was found hanging in his cell around 9:20 p.m. Tuesday at the Correctional Reception Center in Orient, located south of Columbus in central Ohio, JoEllen Smith, Department of Rehabilitation and Correction spokeswoman, said early Wednesday.


My iWitness...

I am wondering how you react to such news...

Which camp do you find yourself in?

1. He got off easy by killing himself.

2. I hope he rots in hell.

3. This is so sad. I wish he would have seen that redemption was possible even after his horrific acts.

4. At least he saved the Ohio taxpayers a lot of money from having to take care of him for the rest of his life.

5. Why wasn't someone watching him more closely? I wanted him to experience the same hellish captivity he put those three women through.

6. Sweet justice!

7.  The three women he held in captivity will now live in peace knowing that he is no longer alive.

8. I have no doubt that the unsurpassing love and grace of God has saved him and he now rests comfortably in the heavenly kingdom, to live forever and ever in the company of the saints that have gone on before him.

9. Whatever... he's dead. Let's move on!

I am sure there are more than the nine camps I listed above...

It is a worthy exercise to take a moment and examine and examine again and again, "How do I really feel about this? Is there any scripture that supports or challenges my thoughts and feelings?"

Our reaction to such news just may say more about us than it ever says about Ariel.

If Ariel Castro was my brother or my father or my son would I feel differently?

Wherever we stand, this stark reality exists... the man named Ariel Castro that God so perfectly knitted together 53 years ago in his mother's womb is now dead.

Where is Ariel now?

God only knows...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"Then when Judas, his betrayer, saw that Jesus was condemned, he changed his mind and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders, saying, “I have sinned by betraying innocent blood.” They said, “What is that to us? See to it yourself.” And throwing down the pieces of silver into the temple, he departed, and he went and hanged himself." (Matthew 27. 3-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment