Friday, January 25, 2013

And the two shall become one

I met Dick and Nancy on August 14, 2004.
Six years later to the day, Dick died.
As of today Nancy has been without Dick two years five months and eleven days.

I was blessed yesterday to spend the whole day with Nancy and her two sisters Carol and Bev. The combined age of these three sisters surpasses the age of the United States of America. The wisdom, the experiences, the knowledge, the grace and the faith of these three women are simply amazing.

Nancy sat across the card table from me, looking as elegant as ever. Glittery flip flps adorned her petite feet. Oh, where those feet have traveled and the stories her toes could tell. The "Sisters" had convinced me to be the necessary fourth in a game of Bridge. Nancy was my partner. We giggled and laughed. The sisters did most of the laughing at my lack of knowledge of the game. Bev talked about me being "vulnerable"and started talking about a "700 Rubber". Caught up in the moment of confusion I blurted out, "What's a rubber?" They all looked at each other and started to giggle! So did I!! Oh my...

Nancy and I took a walk. We laughed. We marveled at the landscape of the desert backdrop against the rugged mountains. We hugged and we talked about Dick. She thinks about him everyday. She misses his tall strong handsome frame reaching down to hold her and make her feel secure. Her eyes moisten as we recount Dick's never ending love for Nancy and their special Wednesday night dates and a host of other special memories.

While visiting Dubuque, Nancy showed me the exact spot where the future "love of her life" showed up on the side lawn and called to her asking for that first date. She took to me by the "Shot Tower" where in Nancy's words, she and Dick would "park." And for more than half a century they were a couple from that point on...only until death did they part.

It's strange but true, when I think of Nancy, I think of Dick. When I think of Dick, I think of Nancy.

My iWitness...

"Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one." (Genesis 2. 24)

Nancy longs for the day to be reunited with Dick. Of course she does... How could she not?

The day will come when we are united with the groom of heaven, Jesus Christ. The scriptures tell us that we are the bride and He is the bridegroom. One day it will be death that will forever unite us in each others physical presence. And that unification will last forever and ever and ever!

We long for the day to be one with God in the heavenly kingdom... How could we not?
One day, one day... the two shall become one...

And that's my iWitness
Laugh often and Fear Not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment