Saturday, January 12, 2013

The voice of Faith

I received an email from the school district yesterday morning at 5:34 a.m. letting me know that there would be a two hour delay to the start of school due to fog. I looked out the window and it was completely dark and for all I knew it was snowing. As the sun rose, sure enough - dense fog.

With the extra time in the morning we ate breakfast a little later than usual. I was standing in the kitchen when my daughter Faith casually walked by and in a very matter of fact way said, "Daddy, can I talk to you about something?"

Eight words from my daughter was all it took to set the ears of my heart on fire. How this daddy loves to hear the voice of his children...

I sat down opposite from Faith at the dining room table. With her big, expresive blue eyes staring right into mine she said, "Dad, we (Faith, Joshua and Julie) were at the store yesterday and I saw this really nice necklace and I was wondering if I could get it today."

My first thought was, "YES! YES!! Let's go get that necklace right this moment because I love you so much and I want to give you the world and the fact that you wanted to talk to me about it just made my day, and yes honey you do have me wrapped around your little pinky in case anybody asks."

Instead we talked about how much it cost and what the necklace looked like and what store it was at. I offered the thought that maybe she could get it for her birthday (4 months from now). She wasn't too fond of waiting that long. Eventually we left at "We will see." Faith said, "OK" and with that she swung her feet around and off the dining room bench, smiled at me and bounded off to do something else.

Julie and I talked later that evening. Faith will get the necklace for Valentine's Day. Of course, Faith does not know this, but we do. She will only have to wait only one month instead of four.

Needless to say, this little conversation was everything but "little." The fact that my daughter wanted to talk to me, her Daddy, made my day. I hope and pray that we have thousands more of these "talk to you about something" moments.

My iWitness...

How the Father loves to hear the voice of His children!

Do you believe that?
Do you believe that the Father longs to hear your voice?
Do you believe that the ears of His heart are set ablaze when you utter His most majestic name?
Do you know that the Father revels and basks to be in your heart of hearts and just about falls over Himself to have "heart to heart" talks with you?
Do you know that Jesus literally (not figuratively) died to be able to talk with you voice to voice, face to face and heart to heart?
Do you believe that the fog of our lives just might give us the two hour delay we need to take a moment and say to the Lord of Lords and King of Kings, "Abba, Father can I talk to you about something?"
Do you know that you can approach His throne of grace with great confidence and with no fear and that you will be accepted just as you are at the dining table of grace?
Do you believe that the Lord delights in giving to us the desires of our hearts and that maybe, just maybe He is simply waiting for us to ask Him?

Well... maybe today you will...

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37.4

"Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4. 14-16)

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!




2 comments:

  1. Totally hit home. Faith is so blessed with an earthly father such as you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! God bless you, David....

    ReplyDelete