Sunday, January 13, 2013

Indicator lights


It was time to take Joshua to his basketball game yesterday. With great anticipation and excitement Joshua along with his basketball jumped into the backseat alongside his sister Faith. I put the key in the ignition, buckled up, put on the steering wheel heater, the seat heater and placed my hand on the stick to shift into reverse.
There it was… shining bright. Staring me right in the face, as if to say, “Hello? Have you not been paying attention to me? I am here to remind you that you are about to run out of gas!!!”
The fuel tank indicator light! How did I not see this sooner? I wondered how long it had been on. Typically when it has come on in the past I have about 45 miles to go before I am running on fumes. I pressed the “Fuel/Mileage” button on the center console. It would tell me how many miles I had left to empty – The DTE (distance to empty) button.
It registered 12 miles to empty. I thought, “No problem! The gas station is only a mile or so up the road.” I backed out of the garage and into the street, placed the car in drive and then looked at the DTE one more time. Now it registered “#”. Not even a number. A hashtag? Was my car getting ready to tweet?
Off I drove with a little fear and trepidation. Faith and Joshua, from the backseat kept asking over and over, “Are we going to run out of gas? Are we going to run out of gas?” My response, was quick with confidence, “Of course not!”
My iWitness…
Don’t you wish that we had some kind of indicator light that would flash in front of our eyes and shout, “Hey David (insert your own name here!), you are almost out of gas! Take some time out to refuel or else you are going to find yourself stranded in the middle of the road during rush hour, in the middle of nowhere with no oasis in sight or perhaps running late to an impending important time sensitive appointment."
What kind of refueling do we need? Physical? Emotional? Mental? Spiritual?
Where do we go to get such fuel? Wherever we go, is it the type of fuel that really does fill us up? Is it the type of fuel that satisfies?
Or is it type of fuel that drains? That type of fuel that deceives usinto thinking that we are getting what we need when in fact it is sucking us dry of everything we have, leaving us bone dry.
Who tells you when you are almost on empty? What indicator lights do you look upon to let you know that it is time to “filler up”?
After working hard to create the world and all that inhabits it, even God took a day to rest. Following that model even Jesus took time to be by himself, to pray, to rest, to worship.
How bout you?
Perhaps this post today, on a Sunday, the Sabbath day is a Fuel indicator light saying:
Time to rest.
Time to refuel.
Time to unwind.
Time to slow down.
Time to say “No” to a few requests.
Time to reprioritize a few things.
Time to do that which God took time to do… Rest!
“Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46. 10)
“So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it, God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.” (Genesis 2. 3)
Wow! Would you look at the time? 2:35 a.m. – Time to rest and refuel...

And that’s my iWitness…
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment