Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Disappointment


dis-ap-point-ment

noun
1.
the act or fact of disappointing;
            All of his efforts only led to the disappointment of his supporters
2. the state or feeling of being disappointed;
            Her disappointment was very great when she didn’t get the job.
3. a person or thing that disappoints;
            The play was a disappointment

Ever been disappointed?
Me too….
Ever disappointed someone?
Me too…
Probably the most powerful thing anyone can ever say to me is, “I’m disappointed in you.” Tell me I’m a terrible person. Tell me I deserve to go to jail. But whatever you do, please don’t tell me that you are disappointed in me. Oh, how that hurts. The open recognition and confession of another that I have disappointed them is almost worse than the original act itself.
This past weekend we as a family were disappointed that the Green Bay Packers lost along with the Seattle Seahawks on a last second field goal.
Definition number 2 (see above) was the state or feeling of the day yesterday.
“Her disappointment was very great when she didn’t get the job.”

Talked with a good friend of mine yesterday. Only it wasn’t a she, but rather a “he” that was very disappointed when “he” didn’t get the job.” In the interview process he made it to the “Final Four” but didn’t make it to the Championship game, so to speak. When he first told me of the opportunity and was wondering if he should apply my response was decisive and quick, “Yes! Apply now! You would be perfect! They’d be a fool not to take you.” Sometimes the “fools rule.” I still believe with my whole heart that my friend would have been perfect for the job.
Dreams dashed.
            Visions eviscerated.
                        Hope humiliated.
                                    Future forsaken.
                                                Goals gone.

We’ve all been there and we will all visit there again.
So, how do we deal with disappointment?
I am struck by the number of people who will say as part of a subconscious defensive coping mechanism, “Everything happens for a reason…” Yes, this is true and maybe, just maybe the reason you didn’t get the job is because the people interviewing you were a bunch of idiots!! Maybe the reason you didn’t get the job is that your sound sense of being self-secure was so overwhelming that the interviewer’s identity had a crisis of epic proportions and shattered before his very eyes rendering him blind to see and appreciate your amazing giftedness as a person. Yes, everything happens for a reason, just maybe not for the right reason.
Am I disappointed at times? Yes!
Am I a disappointment at times? Yes!
Does everything go my way just as I planned it would? No!
So, where do we turn? We turn toward the One who always turns to us – God!
Whether it be good or bad, elation or disappointment the turn is always the same…
Upward to God – to the One who knows all the reasons why it didn’t work out the way we wanted it to and just might have a better plan around the next corner…
The heart of man plans his way,
but the Lord establishes his steps. (Proverbs 16. 9)
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8. 28)
I don’t know the plan.
I don’t know the reason why some things work out the way they do.
I don’t always have it all figure out.
But there is someone who does, God! And I love Him…and He loves me…and He loves you!
Disappointed or not...
Upward, Onward, Forward we go, pressing on toward the goal that is before us in Christ Jesus!
And that’s my iWitness…
Laugh often and Fear Not!
David!

1 comment:

  1. As a kid I absolutely dreaded getting in trouble. Why? Because my dad would simply say, "I'm disappointed in you." Please take the belt to me, ground me for life, anything, just don't be disappointed in me. I know I've mightily disappointed my Heavenly Father time after time but like my earthly father His love knows no limits and is unconditional. Thank you, Jesus!

    ReplyDelete