Monday, January 7, 2013

Airplanes and Oxygen Masks

I will be sitting on an airplane today that will fly from one city to another at approximately 30,000 feet elevation with a speed of about 400-500 miles an hour.

Before the plane takes off I will hear for the 3500th time the "Important FAA safety announcement", directing my full attention to the flight attendant at the front of the aircraft demonstrating to all those on board how to put on a seat belt.

My favorite part of the announcement is when the lead flight attendant says, "In case of air cabin depressurization, oxygen masks will fall from the panel above you. Place the mask over your face securing the elastic band around your head."

Now comes my favorite part... "And then BREATHE NORMALLY."

So, let me get this straight. I have flown over 3500 times and the oxygen masks have never dropped down and now the one time they do indicating that the air pressure in the cabin is in serious jeopardy and the fact that the pilot is now going to have to descend to an altitude of 8,000 feet as rapidly as possible before I die of hypoxia or hypothermia (whichever comes first) I am simply to remain calm, continue reading my book, casually look out the window and BREATH NORMALLY? I think not!!

My iWitness...

Today and in the days ahead you will experience air cabin depressurization in your life. Something will go wrong. Leaky pipes will flood your dining room. Your children will disobey you. Your friends will disappoint you. You will become frustrated in the traffic jam. You will throw up your hands at your dysfunctional workplace. Your aging body will have some sort of breakdown. There is no getting around this.

The question becomes, "Will I breathe normally?" I counted 14 normal breaths in one minute for me in a relaxed state of being. How about you? Take a minute to count...

It's the first Easter Sunday evening and the disciples don't know Jesus is risen from the dead yet. A couple of the disciples have seen the empty tomb but they don't know what has happened to Jesus. They are in a room with the doors locked for fear of the religious authorities. There are oxygen masks hanging down from the ceiling. Their world is imploding after the death of their friend and savior. The oxygen of life is being sucked out of their life and breathing normally is the furthest thing from their mind...

And then "Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, 'Peace be with you... And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, 'Receive the Holy Spirit..." (John 20. 19, 22)

When life's troubles assault us and we are tempted to panic, hyperventilate and breath erratically causing our very souls to faint due to the lack of oxygen, let us take in the deep breath of peace of Jesus, receive the Holy Spirit and... "breathe normally..."

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have trouble. But take heart, I have overcome the world." (John 16. 33)

Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

1 comment: