Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Names

One of the fun things about any kind of preaching is the fact that you have to "practice" what you preach. Yesterday we talked about "breathing normally" when things start going awry.

Wouldn't you know it. Not less than six hours after writing about Jesus coming into our midst and encouraging us to breathe deep His peace, I was put to the test at the airport.

My flight was scheduled to depart at 12:30 with an hour layover in Dallas, Texas (the absolutely largest, biggest airport in the history of airports!!!). Everything was going great. I made it through security without a hitch. I even had time to grab a sandwich and a Jack Reacher novel to read on the plane.

Standing at the gate I noticed on the board behind the gate agent's head that the departure time now read 12:45, not 12:30. The automatic slide show on the board then mentioned that the flight time was 3 hours and 40 minutes. I did some quick calculations and figured I still had time to make my connection. I was still breathing normally...

Five minutes later the new departure time shouted out 1:00 pm!! Wait a minute! What's going on here? The gate agent made some announcement which I could not understand due to his soft and mumbling voice. I did some more quick calculations. There was no way I was going to make  my connection. My breathing became erratic. My heart rate quickened. Breathing normally was out of the question. I had to make my connection. I was not about the spend the night at the airport in Dallas, Texas.

I quickly approached the mumbling gate agent's counterpart. Her name tag said, "JOY".  My concerned face was met with a big smile and bright sparkling eyes. I said, "Your name is perfect for a situation like this." Her perky southern accent did not disappoint. "Why yes it is! How may I help you?" I mentioned my predicament about making my connection and having to navigate my way through at least 10 miles of terminals at DFW (Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport) to get to my connecting gate. Her bright attitude did not diminish. "Oh, you will have no problem. I was there just last week with only a fifteen minute layover and I made it with no problem." Her bright smile was blinding.

Resigned to this fact that there was nothing I could do I looked at her and said, "They say 'Joy comes in the morning', but I see that Joy comes in the afternoon as well." She drawled, "That's right. Joy lasts all day long." And with that I walked away.

The plane took off at 1:00 pm. We landed and were at the gate in Dallas at 6:48. My flight was at 7:10. I ran and I ran and boarded some type of tram and then got off of that and ran and ran and got to my gate and the gate agent was standing in the terminal looking right and left for perhaps one more passenger. Our eyes locked and she said, "Cedar Rapids?" I panted, "Yes!" She said, "Come on! Let's go!" And with that I boarded the plane as the flight attendant was checking her watch. I was the last one on. A minute later the door closed and we were off... I offered a quick prayer thanking God for providing enough time for me to make the flight and my breathing became normal once again...

My iWitness...

What name dominates your frame of heart? When other people think of you what name do they come up with? "Cranky pants? Impatience? Dependable? Encouraging? Negativity? Pollyanna? Faithful? Joy?"

Joy lived up to her name! In a moment of doubt and erratic breathing she breathed out "joy" into my foggy world. Thank God for Joy.

What name will we live up to today?

"Weeping may tarry for the night,
but joy comes in the morning." (Psalm 30. 5)

Laugh often! Fear not!
David!



No comments:

Post a Comment