Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Wall

It was during my Junior High Years that I began to discover my musical tastes. “Frampton Comes Alive” was my first “rock” album. Then came Boz Scaggs, Boston, Styx and then Kansas! I loved Kansas. First came “Leftoverture” with “Carry On Wayward Son” followed by “The Point of Know Return” with the epic acoustic classic, “Dust in the Wind.” If you’re younger than 40 years of age you might want to look up these classics on YouTube.
As everyone was carried away with the first song of the “Leftoverture” album “Carry On Wayward Son”, it was the second song which captivated me and to this day is an often played song on my iTunes.
It’s called “The Wall.”

Kerry Livgren writes and sings about “The Wall”, an immovable object that his life has led him to and how his life has now come to a standstill. I offer to you the second verse…
To pass beyond is what I seek, I fear that I may be too weak
And those are few who've seen it through to glimpse the other side,
The promised land is waiting like a maiden that is soon to be a bride
The moment is a masterpiece, the weight of indecision's in the air
It's standing there, the symbol and the sum of all that's me
It's just a travesty, towering, blocking out the light and blinding me
I want to see

I hit a wall yesterday. I had been circling it for weeks, maybe even months, sizing it up, looking for my way around it, over it, under it and today I discovered that there is only one way… through it.
I slump against it. Its cold slab chills me to the bone. The wall absorbs nothing. My tears trickle, cascading down it glassy surface, pooling at my feet. The Wall's laughter echoes off its gray granite as my pounding fists bounce off of it. I make not a dent. It towers. It intimidates. It chuckles in its premature self declared victory dance. The scattered skeletons of those who have flailed and failed have front row seats to my futility.
The odds makers are at it again.
Who will break who? Does the Wall break me or do I break the Wall?
The song pumps through my veins:
“To pass beyond is what I seek, I fear that I may be too weak.
And those are few who’ve seen it through to glimpse the other side.”

My iWitness…
It’s not the first Wall I have run into in my life.
It won’t be my last.
It’s just the next one in line.
So it is for you. It may seem taller, wider, thicker, denser but in the end it’s just another Wall.
Our God is an awesome wall breaker. He makes obsidians obsolete, saprolite superfluous, pumice into pebbles and granite into granules.
If we believe that God has called us to where we are and to where we need to be then nothing, nothing can withstand His will and His way. Look out Wall, I’m coming through…
And David said to the Wall of a man named Goliath, “I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts… This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you down…”
                                                                                                         (I Samuel 17. 45-46)
ps… See you on the other side…

And that’s my iWitness…
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment