Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Open the eyes of my heart Lord

Last night on New Year's Eve we decided to order pizza for dinner. I went to the Pizza Hut carry out place and was told that it would be a few minutes. An older couple sat patiently in the only two chairs available for people waiting for their order.

After standing for a few minutes a woman walked in. She must have been a regular as the Pizza Hut employees called her by name as she entered... "Charity." Within two minutes her name was called and the girl behind the counter carried out a variety of pizzas (square and rectagular boxes) along with bread sticks and a two liter bottle of Pepsi. As Charity tried to pick up the order in her hands I could tell she was wondering how she was going to open the door to get out. She managed to pick up the meal in one swoop and turned and looked at the door. I was already there with the door open. With surprise in her voice she said, "I was wondering how I was going to get through the door." I simply replied, "I was a step ahead of you. Have a great night. Happy New Year." Down the front steps she went and off into the night to celebrate.

Another five minutes went by and the girl behind the desk called out "Hermstead?" The older couple looked at each other, chuckled a bit and stood up to receive four large pizzas along with an order of bread sticks. My surprised facial response must have spoken to the older lady as she looked at me and said, "These are for my son and his friends." I said, "Wow! He is going to have a good time tonight." Her husband heading out the door, she paused and turned to look at me and with a sweet smile and gentle face she went on to explain, "You see... my son in handicapped and we do this for him every New year's Eve." And with a few more "Happy New Years" she and her husband were out the door.

A few things stood out for me from this encounter...

1. "Charity" is a word that is translated into "love" in many Bibles. When I opened the door for the woman named "Charity", I was ushering "Charity" throught the door. In a sense I was letting "love" walk through the door of my life. What would happen if I ushered in God's love through the door of my life every day? How many times do I allow skepticism, cynicism and doubt walk through the door instead of love? May 2013 be a year of ushering in love.

2. Charity wondered how she was going to get out the door. I was already there to provide the way out. Whatever predicament or problem or issue I may be having, God is already there providing direction and perhaps even opening the door before us as we wonder, "How in the world am I going to get through this?" Good news... God is already there! A step ahead of us!

3. I was so touched by the older couple's devotion and annual tradition of providing pizza for their handicapped son on New Year's eve. I have no doubt they provide in all sorts of ways for their son throughout the year. When we have children they are our children for the rest of our lives and we care for them as such. Parenting doesn't stop when they turn 18. How much more does God care for His children relentlessly and lovingly.

That's my "iWitness" for the day.

I love the words of one of my favorite Praise songs...
"Open the eyes of my heart Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see you, I want to see you"

iWitness wants to see you Lord! That is our prayer for the day and the year!
Laugh often and fear not!
David!

4 comments:

  1. Perfect! You have such a gift. May we all see more clearly. Happy New Year my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed :) thanks for the reflection - we missed our time with you but without the change this divine opportunity would have gone unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. iLikethis! As you know, Shalom means completeness, wholeness, health, peace, welfare, safety soundness, tranquility, prosperity, perfectness, fullness, rest, harmony.. This word, Shalom, comes to mind when I think of the graciousness with which you touch peoples' lives both near and far. I wish you Shalom as you venture on this new endeavor..

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited to follow your blog aka challenge this year! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete