Monday, January 14, 2013

Jumping


In the children’s area of the church we attend Joshua was up on stage after Sunday School. The floor of the stage is a good 3-4 feet off the ground. Joshua saw me walk up and that daredevil gleam in his eyes took over. As I walked closer to the stage he started to pace backwards. I came to within about four feet of the stage and that’s when my BASE jumper of a son took off, running as fast as he could and then with one fluid motion his right knee came up and he leapt off his left foot, spreading his arms wide and legs gliding behind him flying through the air into my waiting arms!
Oh if you could have seen Joshua’s face! Eyes wider than saucers! Mouth open wide flashing a brilliant smile and those arms, those precious arms wide open wide in full abandonment mode!
We both giggled and laughed and I spun him around in a circle before gently letting him land with both feet secure on solid ground once again.
One time was not enough for an adventure like this. We did the same scenario over and over and over again. Four times in a row. Each time with me a little further from the stage and each time Joshua running a little faster and jumping a little higher.
Joshua jumped off the stage four times in a row.
Of the four times, how many times did Joshua wholeheartedly believe that I would catch him?
… Every time! Every time! Every time! Every time!
The waiting arms of his father caught him every single time. And if we did it forty more times, I would have caught him every time!

My iWitness…
When was the last time you bounded off the stage of life into the loving arms of the Father?
When was the last time you recklessly ran and jumped with full abandonment?
When was the last time you colored outside the lines without questioning or doubting?

Who told you that the way to live life is to hunker down and not move from where you are?
Who told you that the abundant life is found in the safety of your own predictable bubble?
What keeps us stuck on stage in the same ol same routine and rut?
What keeps us from living with reckless and faithful abandon?

I was talking with a very good friend of mine yesterday who has faithfully “jumped” twice over the last few years into waiting arms of the Father in a career move. And why not? He is the one who told her to… She is having a blast! Life has never been more exciting! Appropriately her name is Faith!
What is keeping you from leaping? From jumping? From trusting that you will be caught?
Why not go out on a limb?
I mean, after all, Jesus did…with arms open wide...

In the garden of Gethsemane on the night before he died Jesus said, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” (Luke 22.42)
May God’s will be done in our lives with reckless abandonment in the full knowledge of knowing that when we leap we will be caught, over and over and over and over again!
That’s my iWitness…
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

2 comments: