Sunday, January 6, 2013

Affirmation

I grew up wanting to be a professional basketball player. I love the game of basketball and always thought there would come a day when I would coach a group of boys or girls in this fantastic game.

That day came yesterday as I coached my first basketball game.

It was YMCA Basketball with a team comprised of 8 second graders and one first grader - my son Joshua.

We had hoped to have a practice before the first game but it was not to be.

All the boys showed up at 1:00 for our 1:30 game. We passed out jerseys, learned each other's names, ran through a few basic drills and then the referee blew his whistle, looked at me and said, "Coach... your team ready to go?"

My voice for some reason confidently shouted back above the fray of gym noise, "We're ready!" Inside I was thinking, "Are you kidding me? I don't know what I am doing. These kids don't know what they're doing and look at all the parents, siblings and grandparents in the crowd waiting with great anticipation to see their "boy" work magic on the court under the direction of this new coach."

The other team ran out onto the court and they looked like giants compared to our boys. The game began with my boys running everywhere and with me shouting the encouraging words of coaching wisdom, "Get your hands up. Stay on your man. Pass the ball. Get back on "D" (Defense). Shoot the ball! Way to go!! Good job!"

Sometimes the boys did what I said and sometimes I thought to myself, "Do they even hear me?"

The first half ended and we had not scored one point. No ball had gone through the basket. I really wondered if we would ever score.

And then it happened. One little boy threw the ball up in the air and it hung on the rim for what seem like an eternity before it dropped through the basket.

On the sidelines I came out of my shoes!!! I must have jumped six inches off the ground, threw my hands up in the air, my voice exploding in a boisterous "woohoooo", the crowd came out of their seats and then it happened...

This little boy looked straight at me with eyes that begged of, "Did I do okay Coach? Did I do good? Is that what I was supposed to do?"

My team scored four more baskets and the same thing happened with each boy. They would score a basket and their eyes shifted immediately to mine. Their bodies instinctively moved toward me.

And every time my eyes met their eyes with a look of, "Way to go! I am so proud of you! Yes!!! You did it! You did good! Well done!!"

My iWitness...

Have you ever thought of God as a coach. He's watching over us and there is a game plan. There are certain plays to run. There are certain boundaries to stay within.

And there we are... running all over the place. In bounds, out of bounds, shooting at the wrong basket (as did happen in our game!), not guarding our hearts and the list goes on and on.

And yet there are those times when we get it right. Out of our faith and by the power of the Holy Spirit we do it, we live it, we profess it, we honor it. We actually do and are what God has called us to be.

And do you know what I think happens next as we look to God for affirmation?


I think He comes right out of His shoes!!

Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how you made me laugh today!!!! I would LOVE too see Joshua play!!!!! Would LOVE to see you coach!!!!!!

    Would LOVE to see God come out of his shoes for me!!!

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete