Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Number 66


What is it about the number 66?

There’s Highway 66   
There’s 66 Books in the Bible
My wife Julie was born in 1966
It’s the retired jersey number of the great Green Bay Packer Ray Nitschke
It’s also the number of days in a row that the paperboy has missed hitting our driveway with the morning delivery of the Telegraph Herald Newspaper.
We have a double car wide driveway. It’s large. It’s flat. It’s obvious. It’s like the side of a barn!
The paperboy has yet to land the paper in the driveway. Every morning, I mean EVERY morning I go outside in my moccasins and blue plaid flannel robe and there it is… a few inches in the grass, a few feet in the grass, sitting on top of the snow, laying in the puddle on the grass, resting comfortably on the dry grass. Every time! It’s become humorous now. Should I go out and see the paper actually in the driveway I have a feeling I would be somewhat disappointed. This whole thing makes me chuckle in exasperation.
My iWitness…
The very definition of sin is “missing the mark.”
A simple three letter word with the subject of “I” right there in the middle of it! It’s been said that the letter “I” is the biggest letter in the alphabet. But that’s a whole different matter. Back to our subject at hand…
I wonder how God views our sin.
“Good effort David! Way to go! But… you still missed the driveway… Let’s get ‘em tomorrow David!”
Next day… “Wow David, how did you miss the target by that much? Look David, way over here!! Right here. You can do it! I will empower you. Trust me! Look to me! Lock eyes with me and you won’t miss! Don’t become distracted, don’t look left or right, right here David, that’s it, you got it, throw it…..Oh… so close David.
Let’s try it again tomorrow.
Yes David I will be here again.
Yes David, if it takes 66 more tries I will be here to encourage you, support you, love you, give you the target.
Yes David, I will be here tomorrow.
Yes David, I will never leave you nor forsake you.
Yes David, I sometimes chuckle too.
Yes David, you are forgiven.
Yes David, see you tomorrow…”
"Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God thorugh our Lord Jesus Christ." (Romans 5. 1)


And that’s my iWitness
Laugh often and Fear Not!
David!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment