Monday, May 13, 2013

Hole Punchers

My daughter Faith loves to be creative and crafty. On Saturday she retrieved some paper from the printer and started drawing large hearts on them. Carefully she cut around the lines of the heart on the paper. In seconds she secured a paper heart. She eventually wrote on the heart, "I love you Mom!, Love Faith." She also thought it would be nice to allow the heart to have the ability to put a piece of yarn through it so it could be hung. With heart in outstretched hand, Faith's question to Julie startled my mind, "Can you punch a hole in my heart?"

My iWitness...

Has anyone ever punched a hole in your heart?

Perhaps the better question is, "How many holes do you have in your heart?"

Do you remember the first time someone punched a hole in your heart?

I bet you remember the last time?

We talk of people suffering from "broken hearts." I have a perfect picture in my mind on what that looks like... a Valentine's shaped heart ripped in half with jagged edges right down the middle on both halves.

I have run into a few people with that kind of "broken heart" from divorce, disease and death.

I have run into thousands of people who suffer severely from holes that have been punched in their hearts. I've witnessed their vitality, their creativity, their zest, their manhood, their womanhood, their love, their very life slowly but surely leak right out of them.

The result being a crippled, compromised mess...

It's hard to run on all cylinders when the very fuel of our life is seeping or gushing out of our hearts.

It really is a vivid image with horrific consequences.

King David on several occasions suffered from self-inflicted "hole punching." After one such hole punching binge here is what he wrote...

"Create in me a clean heart O God, and renew a right spirit within me." (Psalm 51. 10)

Jesus knows something about "hole punching."

For us, He had three holes punched in Him on the cross so that the holes in our hearts could stop leaking. His Holy Spirit fills our heart and plugs up the holes. Doesn't stop my heart from being punched... but the Spirit does keep my heart from leaking...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and fear not!
David!




No comments:

Post a Comment