Monday, May 20, 2013

Shining Bright - The Dimmer Switch

I have used the analogy hundreds of times in hundreds of conversations. Yesterday, I saw a victim of the very thing that has led to the hundreds of conversations above.

The powerful underlying question is...
"Who is in control of the "Dimmer Switch" of the light bulb of your life?"

My iWitness...

I am convinced that God has made all of our lives to shine with the brightness of a 500 Watt Light Bulb.

However, I am also convinced that most people live their lives with the brightness of 60-100 watts.

Why?

Most people have allowed someone and it could be anyone to have control over the "Dimmer Switch" of their lives.

How many relationships have I seen where one "spouse/significant other/family member" has complete control of the dimmer switch and for reasons that are not all together completely clear to me or to anyone else in the universe, this person holds the dimmer switch down to a level that the person in question barely makes a glimmer.

How many people have I seen hold down the "Dimmer Switch" on their own lives because someone told them, "Don't shine too bright. Don't be a bright and shining star. You're making everyone else around you look bad. You're nothing. You're a nobody." And the list goes on and on.

I ran across this quote years ago that is worth sharing today and tomorrow and the next day...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” (Marianne Williamson - excerpt from Return to Love...1992)

Here's my twofold word for the day...

1. Get your hand off the Dimmer Switch and let God turn it up. Don't settle for 60 or even 100 watts. Shine bright my friend... Shine Bright!!

2. If someone else has their hand on your "Dimmer Switch"... slap their hand so hard that it makes their head spin. You've got some shining to do!

Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8. 12)

Turn it up!
Light up the world!
Let the light of God shine bright today!!

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!



No comments:

Post a Comment