Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Odd Couple

There they sat... together.
They are a rather "odd couple."
It appears the only thing they have in common are the first letter of their first names.
His name starts with the letter "D".
Her name starts with the letter "D".
That is where the similarities seem to end.
As they sit together...
He leans into her like a reed being blown by the wind,
She sits straight up like a tall redwood tree,
His eyes are soft, warm and loving,
Her eyes have lost that sparkle they once held,
His arm wraps around the back of her chair as if to keep him from falling,
Her arms are crisscrossed in front of her as if she is declining the taking of communion at the rail,
He talks and smiles with affable animation,
She rarely seems to say a word and when she does, it's just that... "a word."
They are a rather "odd couple."

And then...
Someone whispers in your ear...
"She has Alzheimer's."

My iWitness..

In the moment that your ears have heard that last sentence to the time it hits your mind what has just been said, your whole view on the situation has forever changed. Whatever judgments you have made on their relationship has just been thrown into the garbage heap.

What you have interpreted as coldness and distance is quickly recalibrated into a display of unconditional love that has grown out of a lifetime together of committed love that knows no bounds and barrels through every obstacle thrown in its path, even that son of a b***** disease called Alzheimer's.

I wonder if anyone has ever noticed God sitting next to me and has made the same observations as above. That God leans into me as I sit erect... That God's arm is around me as I sit with my arms crisscrossed... That God speaks while I mutter...
I wonder if anyone has ever noticed God sitting next to me and thought to themselves, "They are a rather "odd couple"."
I wonder if anyone has ever noticed God sitting next to me and said to themselves, "David must suffer from spiritual Alzheimer's".

Once again, God's unconditional love knows no bounds, knows no obstacles, stops at nothing to wrap His loving arms around me and whisper into my ear, "Fear not, I have bought you with a price, I have called you by name, You are mine, I love you with a furious love, I will not let go, nothing will separate me from you, I am with you always..."

And then my eyes start to twinkle, my heart starts to beat again, my posture starts to lean, my ears begin to hear, my voice begins to proclaim...

And I wonder, and I wonder and I wonder... "when will the spiritual Alzheimer's disease strike and turn us into an "Odd Couple" again...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment