Friday, May 31, 2013

Tornado Watch

All the parents were gathered in the Music room at the Irving Elementary School. We were there to watch our children perform a musical rendition of "The Frog and The Toad."

The class wasn't 20 seconds into their final number when the Principal's voice came over the intercom system and announced that the school was under a "Severe Weather Watch." The music teacher stopped the production and went on to explain in explicit detail that should the principal come over the intercom system one more time then we would all need to head down to the "tornado shelter" until further instructions were offered. After which, she smiled broadly and said to the children, "Ok... with smiles on our faces let's finish the show."

The children smiled and sang and all I could think about was the fact that we were about to get wiped out by a tornado...

My iWitness...

From what I could see there was no need for alarm. It didn't look too ominous outside. The wind was not howling. The skies were gray but they weren't turning black. It wasn't even raining. I quickly pulled up "The Weather Channel" on my iPhone and didn't see any threatening weather patterns on the radar feature.

My overall attitude was rather non-chalant.

And that's where the problem lies...

I have lived in the tornado prone midwest for one year. What do I know about severe weather watches or tornado watches? What do I know about everything becoming eerily still right before the clouds let loose their fury?

The answer is quite clear to me... "Nothing!"

Jesus has some simple sound advice and counsel for us who live in this world.

"What I say to you, I say to everyone: "Watch!" (Mark 13. 37)

Be on your toes.
Be aware of your surroundings.
Be mindful of those things that lead you astray.
Listen to the wise counsel of those who know better and have more experience.
Pay attention to your blindspots and weak spots.
Take the necessary shelter.
There is no dishonor in turning around and running and seeking the safety of the Savior's arms.

Jesus' words awaken us out of our non-chalant, novocain induced smiling stupor that everything is just hunky dory and we can just mindlessly mosey our way through the day with blinders on.

"Watch!"

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment