Friday, May 10, 2013

Snooze Alarm

The early morning hours are the only time adults love to do math... in their heads.
Let's say it takes you an hour and fifteen minutes to get up, showered, dressed and fed before you head out the door for work.
The alarms goes off at 6:00 o'clock in the morning...
Let the Math begin!
We hit the Snooze Alarm button with great flailing force and our mind begins to race. "I can still get everything done in one hour and six minutes..." And off we doze again to enjoy more slumber and sleep.
And then all of a sudden - BAM! The alarm goes off again. We think, "There is no way 9 minutes just passed!" But our mathematical minds make more mental calculations - "Let's see... 75 minutes to get up and out and now I only have 66 but if I hit this snooze alarm one more time, I am positive I can get it all done in 57 minutes..." And once again with great force the Snooze Alarm is set in motion as our minds and bodies drift off into dreamland.
What's really amazing about this is that all of these thoughts take place in less than five seconds.
My personal record for hitting the Snooze Alarm was 13 times in a row!
How about you?

My iWitness...

I wonder how many times God has sent me a "wake-up call" and in less than five seconds I have decided to hit the Snooze Alarm.

How many minutes, days, weeks, months and even years of life have I missed out on God's call because I decided to hit the Snooze Alarm?

Yes, we are tired. Yes, we need more rest. Yes, we are masters at rationalizing the need for a few extra minutes of slumber.

But the question still nags at me like a dripping faucet... How much have I missed out on?

Isaiah had a vision of God that is simply mind-blowing! The Cherubim and Seraphim (Angels with six wings - two to cover their eyes, two to cover their feet and two to fly) are flying around singing, "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord of hosts...!" The train of God's robe fills the temple. The columns of the Temple are shaking at the presence of God. And God sends out the alarm and the wake-up call, "Whom shall I send?"

Isaiah's response is immediate and clear - "Here I am! Send me."

This morning, the Lord's wake-up call just might be saying, "Where are you?"

Perhaps today we won't hit the Snooze Alarm and instead simply say, "Here I Am Lord!"

Let's hit "Send" today... not "Snooze."

Oh no, look at the time... Forgive me for stopping short today...
I only have 53 minutes left to get up and out the door!

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said "Here I am! Send me." And he said, "Go..." (Isaiah 6. 8-9)

No comments:

Post a Comment