Monday, August 12, 2013

#31

Yesterday, August 11, 2013 by a vote of 138-0, the Reverend Stuart Bond was voted in to be the 31st pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, Klamath Falls, Oregon.

Seventeen months ago to the day I preached my last sermon at the First Presbyterian Church, Klamath Falls, Oregon after seven and a half years of being Pastor #30.

My iWitness...

Moses is 120 years old. He has lived quite the life. The God of Israel has told him, "the time has come for you lie down with your fathers..."

Moses led the people to the Promised Land but he will not cross the Jordan River into the promised land. That is for someone else to do.

It's time for Moses to pass the torch of leadership on to his successor Joshua.

"Then Moses summoned Joshua and said to him in the sight of all Israel, “Be strong and courageous, for you shall go with this people into the land that the Lord has sworn to their fathers to give them, and you shall put them in possession of it. It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”

And the Lord commissioned Joshua the son of Nun and said, “Be strong and courageous, for you shall bring the people of Israel into the land that I swore to give them. I will be with you.” (Deuteronomy 31. 7-8, 23)

Have you ever "passed the torch" to someone else?
To a successor in business?
To a homeowner after growing up in a home?
To a coach on a sports team?
To a son-in-law or daughter-in-law who now takes on a leadership role in your son or daughter's life?

For seven and half years I had the greatest privilege to serve the people of the First Presbyterian Church in Klamath Falls, Oregon.

One of the mantras of our congregation during those years was "Fear Not."

As the torch was passed to Joshua, the Lord said to him, "Do not fear..."

So the Lord says to my successor and I could not agree more...

"Stuart... be strong and courageous, for you shall bring the people of the First Presbyterian Church into the land that I swore to give them. I will be with you... Do not fear..."

This is my prayer, this is my hope...
from #30 to #31...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

ps - Hey Stuart.... Don't forget to also "Laugh Often!!!" I know you will...

No comments:

Post a Comment