Sunday, August 25, 2013

Changing Gears



The whole Dendy family went on an eight mile bike ride yesterday. Faith and Joshua had "one gear" bikes while mom and dad had bikes that had "seven gears."

It was an interesting task trying to explain the purpose of the gears as we rode on an old, flat rail line. I put the bike into first gear and showed Faith that by pedaling as fast as I could I was still barely able to keep up with her.

Shifting into seventh gear I then demonstrated that by barely pedaling at all I was going faster than her. She gave me that quizzical look as if to say, "Huh?"

My iWitness...
What gear do you find your life riding in today?

Are you pedaling as fast as you can and moving at a snail's pace?

On the other end of the spectrum are you barely pedaling at all and yet, feel like you are just cruising right along with no worries?

Or maybe the better question would be, "Did you know that you can change gears in the first place?"

I know I am not telling you anything new, but please remember that it is a long, long, long race that we ride. I have met many a people who are exhausted after only a few miles down the trail.

More than likely you have found a gear in which you have found necessary in order to "survive."

Is it possible to step back, take inventory, get off the bike for a day and reassess on what is the best way to use all the gears available to you so that the mountains and valleys are easier to navigate and the flatlands are more enjoyable?

Satisfaction in life will not be found at the end of the trail, but rather along the journey.
Enjoy the ride...
Change gears...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!"
(2 Corinthians 13. 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment