Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Holding On...



I descended the steps of the Cybercafé at the brand new Heritage Center at UD yesterday only to see Joel eating lunch by himself. He looked a little more unkempt than usual as his hair was all tussled and mussed.

I approached Joel and placed my hand on his shoulder and asked how he was doing. He looked up and said, "Oh, hello David."
I sat down with my body leaning toward him with my right forearm securely placed on the table. I asked once again, "How are you doing?"
"Oh fine" was the quick reply from what looked liked quivering lips. Joel placed his shaking fork back down on the plate getting ready to scoop up another bite.

I have a feeling that this will be the case for Joel for awhile. His wife passed away a few weeks ago. She wasn't around yesterday to say to Joel as he left the house, "Oh honey, hold on just a minute... let me fix your hair and for goodness sake, please tuck in your shirt." Those "mothering" words will never sweep over Joel's ears ever again. Only in his mind and heart will he hear and long to hear such things from his lifelong companion and friend, Gilda.

I asked Joel, "How long were you two married?" He placed his fork on the plate and straightened up and with a gleam in his eye he proudly proclaimed, "Forty seven years." My smile and chuckle gave him permission to add this little caveat. "She died one day after our 47th wedding anniversary."

The pause was pregnant...

I inquired, "Do you think she was holding on to celebrate that anniversary with you before she died?"

His voice choked, "The human spirit and will is a mystery. But, yes, I do believe she was holding on for that day."

My iWitness...

His name was Simeon.
Simeon had received the most incredible promise from God...
"You will not die until you see the Savior."

For days, weeks, months, Simeon waited in the temple area waiting to see the Savior.
And then one day...
A young couple arrived on the scene and Simeon asked the important question that he had probably asked a hundred other young couples, "Do you mind if I take a peak at your baby?"
Mary and Joseph complied and listen to what Simeon says...
“Lord, now you are letting your servant depart in peace,
    according to your word;
30 for my eyes have seen your salvation
31     that you have prepared in the presence of all peoples,
32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
    and for glory to your people Israel.” (Luke 2. 29-32)


Basically, Simeon is saying, "Mine eyes have seen the Savior. I have held on to that day which was promised to me and now I can die in peace."

In the magnificent mystery of the human will and spirit combined with the hand of God, Gilda waited for that day... the day that celebrated the 47th anniversary of her and Joel looking into each other's loving eyes where they both celebrated their love for one another and for their God and made the vows that would carry them for 47 years, that they would love each other until death do they part. And then... one day later... Gilda died in peace.

Thank you for holding on Gilda!
Now Joel... until the day arrives when you meet the Savior face to face and you and Gilda are reunited along with all the saints that have gone on before us...
Until then...

Hold on...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!




No comments:

Post a Comment