Thursday, August 8, 2013

Open House?

Last night the University of Dubuque held an "Open House" at its brand new performing arts and student center... the Heritage Center.

I found myself at the front doors welcoming the masses, directing the curious and offering an open invitation to all who would enter, "Feel free to roam at your leisure. We are glad you are here!"

One inquisitive gentleman approached me and asked, "Can we go backstage?"

With all the confidence in the world I quickly responded with, "Uh... I don't know... um... uh... let me find out."

I tracked down the director of the Heritage Center and he openly said, "Absolutely! All the doors are unlocked. We want to be as open and transparent as we can be..."

My iWitness...

 When I was in Junior High School someone at church introduced me to a little booklet (28 pages) entitled, "My Heart - Christ's Home" by Robert Boyd Munger, an ordained Presbyterian Minister.

It was a quick and yet very profound read.
The booklet invited the reader to imagine their heart as a home with all the typical rooms and nooks and crannies that all homes possess.
Now imagine that there is someone knocking on the front door and that someone is Jesus. In the joy of this new found relationship with Jesus, Munger proceeds to walk through each room of the house as an analogy of inviting Jesus into every room of your heart.

In the living room we meet and sit with Jesus on a daily basis. In the kitchen we share with him our appetites... all of our appetites and with the help of Jesus how to establish healthy eating habits which are good for our hearts as well as how to curb certain appetites which are harmful to our hearts. And so the book goes...
First preached in 1947, the message "surrendering the totality of my heart to Jesus" has stuck with me for over 37 years.

The question is raised over and over through this book and through my life.

Is my Heart an "Open House" to Jesus?

With his daily knocking, is my response each day, "Feel free to roam at your leisure. I am glad you are here."?

If you are anything like me, there are closets and other rooms that are under lock and key with only me knowing the contents. It has a big sign on the door that says, "Do Not Disturb!"

How transparent will I be today with myself and with my houseguest?
Will I even let Jesus past the front entry way?

May all of us open the doors of hearts this day and say to the One who gently, joyfully and persistently knocks, "Come on in..."

Oh...Pardon me... I need to excuse myself...
There's someone knocking at the front door...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me." (Revelation 3. 20)



No comments:

Post a Comment