Wednesday, August 7, 2013

You Are My Sunshine!



It was raining the other day at "Camp Be A Friend."
This is an excellent camp that combines children who are considered "typical" with children that are considered "not so typical." My two children, Faith and Joshua have been attending all week.

Mark, who is autistic invited my daughter Faith to sit under his somewhat broken umbrella so as not to get too wet from the rain.

Once nestled together, Mark, with stuffed animal in hand and a sweetheart of a girl by his side, began to sing...
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy, when skies are grey
You never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away.


I received this photo from a friend, whose friend had taken the photo. She explained what song Mark was singing and the circumstances under which Mark invited Faith to join him under the umbrella.

I sat down with Faith last night and asked her what she could tell me about the photo.

"Oh, that's Mark!", she said with extra wide expressive blue eyes.
I said, "Was he singing a song to you?"
"Yes he was... but I couldn't really understand him. He has a hard time talking."

Faith... Thank you for being a friend to Mark!
Even more so...
Mark... Thank you for taking such good care of my daughter...
You can be her friend any time, any where, any how...

My iWitness...

I wonder if this is what Jesus had in mind when he said, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11. 28-30)

Jesus invites us to nestle up beside him. Get out from under the deluge of life and harm's way and sit and rest with him under his umbrella of grace and love. Listen to him singing the greatest love song of all time. We may not understand a word he is saying to us, but nevertheless, don't underestimate the power and the magnitude of the gesture... We are being invited to sit with the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

And here's the best part... There's room for you and room for me.
If you don't mind, I think I just might sit here with him for awhile...
Jesus has a really nice voice that soothes my soul...
I need the rest
I need the friendship...


Jesus is the founder of "Camp Be A Friend."
See you at the camp fire...
By the way...
We will be singing, "You Are My Sonshine"


And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!


ps...
May we be like Jesus...
May we be like Mark...
Make room on the bench
Share our umbrellas
Invite people to sit and rest
It doesn't matter if they understand a word we say
Be A Friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment