Friday, August 23, 2013

Dead in the Water



You're sailing along, the wind at your back, smooth waters, smiling broadly, the sails fully filled, salty sea spraying sprinkles on your warm face and then all of a sudden someone takes the "wind" out of your sails and now you are "dead in the water."

I wish I could make this stuff up.
I saw a group of people "dead in the water" yesterday.
Here's the deal...
I felt completely powerless and helpless!
I was in the boat with them and as much as I huffed and puffed to get the sails going again, my breath was just that... empty wind that could not generate enough power to move us forward one inch.

My iWitness...

What would happen if the whole lesson to be learned was that we were in the boat together and being "dead in the water together" is what was going to make us stronger?

What would happen if the whole lesson to be learned was that we were being called to be patient and "wait on the Lord" to fill our sails again?

Once again... I wish I could make this stuff up.
It really did happen one day...

Jesus made the disciples get in a boat and off into the night they sailed with the winds buffeting up against them, making the night very tempestuous.

Jesus comes strolling on the water and the disciples freak out until they realize that the "ghost on the water" is "God's Son on the water." Peter wants to join Jesus. Jesus says, "Come on out!"

Peter walks out on the water and before long he realizes what he is doing - walking on water! The wind, the waves and the wild reality of him walking on the water hit his doubting mind like a ton of bricks and taking his eyes off of Jesus, Peter sinks...

Jesus reaches out and saves Peter.

What gets lost in that story so many times is the mind blowing fact that Peter walked on the water and the other eleven disciples did not.

What would happen if the whole lesson to be learned was that if I am going to walk on water then I need to get out of the boat!

Lesson learned!

I am getting out of the boat!

I am going to walk on the water!! Want to join me?

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” (Matthew 14. 28-33)

No comments:

Post a Comment