Friday, August 9, 2013

On this day... August 9th

On this day...
August 9th...
Some people will remember that this is the day in 1974 that the 37th President of the United States of America, Richard Milhous Nixon resigned from the presidency. He is the only president in the 237 year history of the USA that has resigned...

Some of you may be thinking... "How in the world does David remember or even know this little bit of trivia."

Very simple...
On this day, August 9th my dad was born in Clinton, South Carolina in 1929.

Although Dad has been dead for three years, 3 months and 15 days, August 9th will forever be etched on my mind and heart as the day that God presented Marshall Coleman Dendy, Jr. to this world. For 46 years I had the privilege and joy of celebrating 46 of his 80 birthday celebrations.

Football season has started and every time the San Diego Chargers play, I am reminded of the season tickets we used to enjoy. We used to have season tickets to the Los Angeles Lakers as well. But after a certain "not so good" season Dad gave up the tickets. Of course the very next month the Lakers drafted Magic Johnson.

Two things stick out about my dad that I carry with me.
He told me when I was 43 years old that we was proud of me for the very first time. Somewhere around April 15, 2010 he told me that he loved me and was proud of me for the very last time. He died 10 days later. I will always treasure those words. I have made sure that I pass those same sentiments and powerful words on to my children on a daily basis.

The second thing is that Dad was a dreamer. He always had a big plan. Big ideas. He was always going to make a million dollars. He always knew that the next business plan would generate enough income to retire comfortably and that he would pass on those millions to me and my sister. He died without a penny to his name. He died with his big dreams still intact. I'm a dreamer too...I may dream about different things, but I always dream of a better day, a bigger accomplishment, an impossible thing becoming possible...

On this day... August 9th
I celebrate my dad...
I miss him...

My iWitness...
"Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord." (Ephesians 6. 4)
To all the dads out there... "do not provoke your children to anger...bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord" and let them know that you're proud of them and that you love them and that you share your dreams with them and most of all that you share your very selves with them.

On this day... August 9th

What will you celebrate?
Who will you remember?
Who will you honor?
Whose legacy will you pass on?
What dreams are you pursuing?

Mothers and Fathers, Sisters and Brothers, Sons and Daughters...
Today is August 9, 2013!
There will never be another day like this one!
Make it a day worth remembering...
so that one day, someone just might look back and say...
I will never forget what happened on August 9th...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!


That's my dad on the far right.
That's me on my grandfather's shoulders
That's my grandmother making sure that I don't fall!!
They're all gone...
I miss them all...

No comments:

Post a Comment