Saturday, August 10, 2013

What are you waiting for?

The headline in the newspaper yesterday read as follows:

Minnesota man claims
share of Powerball win


Paul White, a 45 year old project engineer from Ham Lake, Minnesota will receive $58.3 million after taxes.
That's a lot of money!!
More money than I can even imagine.

The Associated Press writers, Geoff Mulvihill and Steve Karnowski went on to quote Paul White as saying...

"I've totally been waiting for this day my entire life.
Start the clock right now."


My iWitness...

How does that last quote strike you?
I cannot even begin to think what I would say at a press conference if I had just won 58 million dollars.

Due to the fact that I am writing about Paul White's quote, it is obvious that his words have stuck with me and pricked my own heart and mind in such a way as to make me really ponder about his proclamation, "I've totally been waiting for this day my entire life. Start the clock right now."

Is there a "day" that you have been waiting for your entire life?
Wedding day?
Vacation day?
The day you make a six figure salary?
The day the kids leave the house?
The day that an estranged loved one comes home?
The day you become famous?
The day you become a mom or a dad?
The day you discover what your purpose in life truly is?

When does the "clock" start ticking on such things?
I would say for Paul White the clock started 45 years ago.
The clock for me has been ticking for 50 years, 5 months and 5 days.

This raises a whole set of questions for me. Does it for you?

For Jesus the start of his public ministry started after he was tempted in the desert for 40 days by the devil. He was 30 years old.
Had he been waiting for that day his whole life?
Did the clock start on that day?

I think not...
The clock started ticking when God decided to send His only begotten Son to save the world from itself.

The day that Jesus had been waiting for his entire life was a Friday where he was stripped, beaten, spit upon, hammered to a cross piece of timber and hoisted into the air on another piece of wood for all the world to mock and throw insults his way. It was a day of loving sacrifice for the whole world.

Another day that Jesus had been waiting for his entire life was a Sunday morning when he rolled the stone away from the encased tomb... not to get out but to let us in to see that he really was resurrected from the dead! It was a day of redemption, victory and salvation for the whole world.

There is one more day that Jesus has been waiting for his entire life.
It is the same day that I have been waiting for my entire life.
I have no idea when that day will arrive.
Jesus knows, but he won't tell me.

That day when I have the compete and unabashed joy of looking Jesus face to face, eye to eye and wrap my arms around him and feel the strength, the grace, the love, the mercy of his arms enveloping me.

That's what I am waiting for...
How about you?

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." (1 Corinthians 13. 12)




No comments:

Post a Comment